Aug 29, 2015


Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) scored a resounding 4-1 win over Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UniKL) in the second-leg of the TNBMHL 2015 Premier Division match at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

Pakistan’s Ali Shan gave KLHC the lead with a fourth minute field goal, beating goalkeeper Kairulnizam Ibrahim with a powerful close-range reverse stick shot, only for Ireland’s Richard Sykes to equalise 21 minutes later through a penalty corner.

Coach K. Dharmaraj’s side, better known for their come-from-behind brand of hockey to claim victory in most matches, did it once again.

Muhammad Noor Faeez than made it 2-1 off a penalty corner(48th) and skipper Muhammad Razie Abdul Rahim scored twice in the last 10 minutes of play - via a penalty stroke (51st) and a penalty corner just under a minute later to seal an emphatic victory for KLHC.

The four-time champions secured top spot with 22 points – one clear of THT following this win. For the record, KLHC defeated basement side UniKL 1-0 in the first-leg match played on August 9 at the same venue.

In Kuala Terengganu, Faizal Saari scored two goals to light up the night for double champions Terengganu Hockey Team (THT) against TenagaNasionalBerhad at the Batu Buruk Hockey Stadium.

Backed by home fans, the Malaysian international lifted THT with a seventh minute strike in the run of play and successfully converted a penalty stroke in the 39th minute to give THT a 2-0 lead before Muhamad Ramadan Rosli pulled one back for TNB in the 49th minute from a field goal.

The road to the Premier Division title now seems once again an open battle between KLHC and THT and is likely to be decided on September 4 in Kuala Terengganu when the two top guns go into showdown after four other contenders – Sapura, TNB, Mayba
nk and UniKL failed to live up to the expectations.

“The pressure was far more on us to win today’s match than it was on UniKL. They had nothing to lose except derail our plans to stay on top. If we had fumbled today’s match the pressure would have been far higher on us against Sapura on Sunday (tomorrow),” said Dharmaraj.

“We had a great start to take the lead and I must admit that to score three goals in the last quarter of the match certainly took the pressure off us instantly. The players kept mounting the attacks and this is what we had emphasized all along. It’s not over until the final whistle.”

UniKL head coach Arul Selvaraj, said: “Basically it boils down to the level of confidence. There was so much lacking in this aspect today and it is something we have been talking to the players.
“Instead of gaining the upper hand by expanding the lead after the 1-1 draw at the interval, they were worried of holding on to the draw and this allows KLHC to hit three goals in the late stage.”

No comments:

Post a Comment